What is a Powerline adapter?
A Powerline adapter utilises your homes electric wiring to transmit internet signals from your broadband router to another, or multiple, point (s) in your home. One end connects to your router and the other end could be either a WiFi AP or an Ethernet connection.
- Provide connectivity without the need of running separate computer cables
- Free up bandwidth by providing more WiFi connectivity
- Easy to set up and are almost plug and play
- Can be used with almost any router
- Cheap and cheerful being probably the most effective product for the money
- Electric wiring has to be of a good standard and on the same circuit to allow devices to communicate
- Electrical interference and load is detrimental to service. IE running of tumble dryers, microwaves and even fridges and freezers can have a major detrimental effect on the internet service.
- They release of low frequency RF pollution which will can affect radios and TV’s and really ruin an armature radio operators life.
Poweline adapter certainly have their place. They are relatively cheap and require very little technical knowledge to install. As long as you have a good quality single circuit ring mains, are not planning on multiple points and If you can put up with their idiosyncrasies they can be put on useful list.